Make your writing clear, concise and compelling.
Taught by a former Sydney Morning Herald editor, this online writing course is ideal for those who need to write:
- news stories
- content marketing
- press releases
- blog posts.
In other words, it’s perfect for those in journalism, PR, marketing and communications.
It’s also suitable if you simply want to improve your general writing skills – after all, the skills and techniques you’ll learn in this course can be applied to any kind of writing.
What this writing course covers:
- why short sentences are key to good writing
- how to write in the active voice
- how to use positive language
- writing with confidence
- using the right tone of voice and style
- cutting copy
- making your intros stronger
- showing, not telling
- tips on writing in plain English
- writing with the reader in mind
- using the correct tense
- how to write in the inverted pyramid style
- top 10 news criteria (what makes a story interesting)
- frontloading content
- writing a news feature
- grammar and punctuation
- considering the medium – and the purpose – of your writing
- proofreading tips
- writing great headlines.
Unlike other courses that usually focus too much on theory, this is a fun and practical masterclass that’s filled with plenty of exercises.
An online writing course that allows you to study at your own pace – and to redo the course as many times as you want
This course is available online, allowing you to study whenever and wherever it suits you.
It’s equivalent to a full-day course, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (though you can pause whenever you want).
Once enrolled, you can access the course at any time – unlike with other courses (which limit access to a month, half a year or a year) there are no time limits.
How much does it cost?
$US120 per person.
You will receive:
- a handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (will be given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- a free copy of my ebook Dealing with Grumpy Editors
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want
- a 20% discount on all my other training packages, including one-on-one sessions.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and journalist with over 20 years of experience.
- written for and edited almost every feature section of The Sydney Morning Herald
- lectured at UTS, the University of Sydney, and the Australian Independent Centre for Journalism
- worked as an online content specialist, copywriter and communications manager
- taught writing and editing workshops for over a decade.