Make your writing clear, compelling and easy to read
The Writing Essentials online course is ideal for those who write:
- news stories
- marketing and communications copy
- press releases
- blog posts.
In other words, if you work in journalism, marketing, communications, PR or run your own business then this is the course for you.
It’s also suitable if you simply want to improve your general writing skills – after all, the skills and techniques you’ll learn in this course can be applied to any kind of writing.
What this writing course covers:
- why short sentences are key to good writing
- how to write in the active voice
- how to use positive language
- writing with confidence
- using the right tone of voice and style
- cutting copy
- making your intros stronger
- showing, not telling
- tips on writing in plain English
- writing with the reader in mind
- using the correct tense
- how to write in the inverted pyramid style
- top 10 news criteria (what makes a story interesting)
- frontloading content
- writing a news feature
- grammar and punctuation
- considering the medium – and the purpose – of your writing
- proofreading tips
- writing great headlines.
Unlike other courses that usually focus too much on theory, this is a fun and practical masterclass that’s filled with plenty of exercises.
An online writing course that allows you to study at your own pace – and to redo the course as many times as you want
This course is available online, allowing you to study whenever and wherever it suits you.
It’s equivalent to a full-day course, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (though you can pause whenever you want).
Once enrolled, you can access the course at any time – unlike with other courses (which limit access to a month, half a year or a year) there are no time limits.
How much does it cost?
$US120 per person.
You will receive:
- a handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (will be given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- a free copy of my ebook Dealing with Grumpy Editors
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want
- a 20% discount on all my other training packages, including one-on-one sessions.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and journalist with over 20 years of experience.
- written for and edited almost every feature section of The Sydney Morning Herald
- lectured at UTS, the University of Sydney, and the Australian Independent Centre for Journalism
- worked as an online content specialist, copywriter and communications manager
- taught writing and editing workshops for over a decade.